Friday, 23 January 2015

Simple Traditional Pixie Bonnet (with Festive Design in Bright Colours, or with Burgundy, Navy and White)


I have been catching up on my pre-Christmas posts, and they seem so long ago!  I see that I wrote I would post the festive hats I had been making.  Although it might feel a bit late for making festively coloured hats, it is certainly still cold enough around here to warrant hats!  My kids are still wearing theirs, and tot pictured here yesterday refused to remove it after modelling and so wore it indoors for the afternoon.  It is always good to know that my handiwork is appreciated by someone!

These were really simple.  I was influenced by the traditional pixie bonnet look of old, and have had comments from neighbours such as "they remind me of the hats my friends/siblings and I used to wear!" so I guess this brief worked out.

They work nicely in navy and burgundy too if you have children who prefer less brightly coloured hats.  Still add the white stripe in to keep a festive look.  If anyone would like me to post a picture of this version, just let me know. 

Of course, plain colours will also be nice.  When I was younger, winter accessories were always in school colours - it wasn't in a school uniform requirement as I went to an ordinary state school, just a sort of unspoken rule - and so my hats, along with the sea of bonnets and balaclavas, were always knitted in royal blue.  Thinking back, though I cant remember noticing at the time, everyone looked so neat and smart like that!  I don't think that tends to be done anymore, but the hats would look nice all done in black to match a smart black winter coat.

This size fits my kids age 2-6.  For the older ones (all under 10) I chained on an extra 8. Otherwise, continue the pattern as below for either size. 



If you are doing burgundy, navy and white, I have specified colours as if you want burgundy to be the main colour.  If you prefer navy to be the main colour, then simply switch the burgundy/navy to what I specify below.

It is a lot of slip stitching which always feels to me that it takes such a long time to work anything up, but it is worth it here as it makes the edging look so neat.

Chain 100 in white.
Slip stitch for 2 rows.
For the next row, slip stitch into the first 8 stiches.Chain 3, then slip stich into the 4th stich along.  Repeat all along the row until you reach the last eight stiches. Slip stich into these to complete the row.
(Tie off the white.)
In red or burgundy, * double crochet into the first hole you have created in the previous white row. Double crochet another twice in the same hole. Double crochet 3 times into the next hole.  Repeat until the row is complete.
Repeat for the next 3 rows.
Tie off red or burgundy.
In green or navy, repeat italic instructions from * and do so for 4 rows. Tie off green or navy.
In white, repeat italic instructions from * and do so for 2 rows.  Tie off white.
Bright Colour Design:  repeat italic instructions from * for a row of royal blue, then a row of yellow, then red.
Burgundy, Navy and White Design: repeat italic instruction from * in burgundy for 3 rows.
Continue double crocheting 3 into each hole for 11 rows.
Fold the crocheted piece in half so the underside is facing you and make a joining stich along your last row of red/burgundy. This will create the back of the hat with the pixie look. Turn it back the right way so the stitching is on the underside. Tie off red or burgundy.
In white, slip stich along the bottom of the hat, beginning at the little tab of white you left at the beginning and end of the very first row of the hat, when you left 8 stiches for 3 rows at each end.  Continue rows of slip stich to end up with 8 rows of white.
Tie off white.
For the tassel, gather 4 lengths of all your colours of yarn, around 8cm long.  Push them through one of the holes at the very top corner of the hat. Tie them in a tidy knot and trim the ends to neaten.
For the chin ties, plait three of your colours together and attach them to the bottom corners of your white border.

No comments:

Post a Comment