Friday, 13 February 2015

Gingerbread Shapes


I posted about my Valentine's gift for my husband; I was going to get some cufflinks to pop into the heart I made in crochet.

Unfortunately, all of our nearby charity shops, which usually have cufflinks in, had none in at all!

The kids and I had made these gingerbread shapes on Tuesday afternoon. 


They went down very well.  We ran out of oven space and time, so I wrapped the last quarter of dough up and stashed it.  So I figured I would use the remainder to create some heart shaped gingerbread to wrap in cellophane and ribbon, and then pop that into the crochet heart instead.  Actually, I'd bet a little gingerbread man with a red piped heart would have looked nice if I had any red colouring in.

I am also going to pop out for some vac-packed beetroot to try out a version of Red Velvet Cake, the idea of which and science behind I found here.

My main gift though, is that I have arranged a monthly sitter so I can meet my husband from work and we can have quiet coffee together; regular dates, remember those?!

This is the recipe we used



I love a peppery Germanic gingerbread, tasting and scented like wintertime and craft markets in the dark!

375g plain flour
25g cornflour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground mixed spice
100g butter (we use Pure)
150g granulated sugar
3 tbsp. golden syrup
2 tbsp. black treacle (molasses is slightly different so might need experimentation!)
Pinch of salt

Beat the butter, sugar and syrups until creamy and well combined.  Mix in the dry ingredients to bring it to a dough.  Ideally, it gets refrigerated to firm up and make it easier to roll.  When making them ad-hoc with the kids, we just press the dough flat as close as we can to about 5mm thick (be prepared to get sticky though.) Cut out and place on lined baking trays. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes, or if pressing flat/using large shapes about 20 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack. 

Try not to eat the dough before you bake any biscuits! But it is good to know that it makes an amazing gingerbread cookie dough ice cream when chunks are mixed into slightly softened vanilla ice cream and refrozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment