Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Rhubarb Chutney

Rhubarb and Pear Chutney
This is a gorgeous dark treacly old fashioned sort of chutney - the stuff of a real Ploughman's sandwich, i.e. with cheese, ham and/or tomatoes.
The rhubarb and onion can be played with in terms of quantities.  If I do not have enough rhubarb I use apple or pear to boost it like in the picture above (I had only one quarter quantity of rhubarb I should have, so boosted with pear.)


with Yellow Split Pea & Rhubarb Curry
I like to use jam sugar - I know this is quite unusual for chutney, but I like the set it gives.  I have used molasses sugar for this in the past, which does give a very good result too.   Using granulated sugar (which still gives a pleasant enough set) and treacle is the cheapest combination.

I find that the cheapest malt vinegar works best for this - it is enough to preserve the chutney but is weaker in flavour than the next brand up which prevents the chutney retaining the throat-catching hit malt vinegar can throw at you.

How I make it:



1kg onions, chopped
200g rhubarb, sliced if small stalks, chopped if large thick stalks
300ml malt vinegar
200g jam sugar or granulated sugar
1 tbsp. black treacle
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground coriander
Half a tsp garlic powder

Put everything into a large pan.  Bring the mixture to the boil.  Simmer the mixture for 30 minutes until it is melded, soft and thick.  Store in sterilised jars.

I sterilise the jars by washing in soapy hot water once the preserve is cooking.  I rinse them out with boiling water from the kettle (being careful, obviously) then dry out in the microwave (not metallic lids) or in a low oven.

I declare that I do not know how long this keeps, as it goes pretty quickly in this house!  But I have kept it in the fridge and I can confirm it was good for at least a couple of months.

Do you have a link for a favourite rhubarb preserve to share below?

No comments:

Post a Comment