Friday, 10 June 2016

Rhubarb Recipes


Our rhubarb is out and we have had our first crumble of the season.  It is just lovely with strawberries or raspberries, and more frugally with apple or pear - in the latter case in savoury dishes as well as just puds or preserves.

I love rhubarb for it's yield and it's hardiness; I do not have to do anything for the plant and yet it spreads and produces yummy nutrition every year without fail.

Here are some of our favourite ways to munch the stuff:




In a stirfry with chicken-style pieces - rhubarb works well here in the same way mango or pineapple would

In a retro-style curry taking the place of the apple; try this Rhubarb and Yellow Split Pea Curry

Stewed with apples and then seasoned with salt and pepper, it makes a nice side dish to accompany roast dinners, or spiced meals, or with cheese and crackers as if a chutney

On that note... Rhubarb & Pear Chutney

My favourite jam every is Rhubarb & Ginger (here with pear added)

My Crumble Mixture

Using baking powder or self-raising flour lends a cakey texture I am not fond of in a crumble.  If I want cakey, I'll make a cake.  I want a shortbread crumble texture on top of the lovely soft fruit. No messing with oats or spices or nuts.  I'll eat those if I want them. When I want crumble, I want crumble. Like Nanna's.

200g plain flour
Pinch of salt
150g solid fat (butter, white fat, whatever you want or have)
2 tbsp sugar (any dry grained sugar will do, moist ones like most brown sugars won't work unless you beat them into the fat first)

Rub the fat into the flour and salt with fingertips until more or less evenly incorporated, making a crumbley mixture. Stir in the sugar. Pile on top of chopped soft fruit, which has been sprinkled with sugar if necessary (it is to counter rhubarb-tang), then bake at 180C for 30 minutes.

Oh my goodness.

Serve with custard if you are using soft fruits from the freezer in winter months.

If it is summer, then ice cream cannot be argued against.


What is your favourite way to eat rhubarb?

No comments:

Post a Comment